What is Grafting and Sinus Lifting?
Grafting is also known as “dental bone grafting”. Dental bone graft adds volume to the jaw in areas where bone loss occurs. The graft can be taken from the patient’s own body, human tissue bank or animal tissue bank. Sometimes the dental bone graft can also be synthetic.
How does a dental bone graft work?
The placed dental bone graft does the repair work of the person’s own body. From this point of view, it can be said that a dental bone graft acts as a scaffold for the regeneration of your bone tissue.
Sometimes our dentists can combine the dental bone graft with platelet-rich plasma. For this procedure, the patient’s blood sample is first taken and this sample can be used to support tissue regeneration.
Who can have a dental bone graft?
A dental bone graft is recommended for people who experience bone loss in their jaw. Dental bone grafting is also recommended in the following cases:
- If you are having a tooth extraction
- If you want to replace a missing tooth with an implant
- If you want to reconstruct the jaw before wearing a prosthesis
- If you are experiencing bone loss due to gum disease, you may need to have a dental bone graft.
Our specialist dentists at Antalya Abay Dental Center conduct detailed examinations about whether a graft is needed and inform their patients in detail.
What happens after dental bone graft?
Swelling and bruising may occur in patients after dental bone grafting. However, these are normal side effects that are expected to subside within a few days. In these cases, our dentists can manage the symptoms with painkillers and antibiotics. However, they should be used by prescription by a specialist dentist.
It is possible to see small bone fragments coming out of the area where the procedure was performed within a few days after the graft. These are pieces that look like grains of sand. However, this is not a matter to be worried about, it is normal to see it after the procedure, however, it is recommended that you do not delay the visit to your dentist until full recovery.
How painful is a dental bone graft?
Many of our patients who have had dental bone grafts at ABAY DENTAL CENTER report that they feel very little pain and ache. Patients do not encounter any problems when they take all medications as prescribed by our specialist dentists and follow the post-operative instructions meticulously.
What is sinus lift?
Sinus lift is a surgical procedure in which bone is added to the upper jaw. This bone is placed around the area that supports the posterior teeth, also known as the molars. In some clinics, this procedure is also known as “sinus augmentation”.
The bone is attached to the area between the chin and the sinuses, which border both the right and left sides of the nose. Since the face is a closed space, the membrane in the sinuses is moved upwards to make room for this additional bone, hence the term “lift”. Since it is a very complicated procedure, it should definitely be done by a specialist, otherwise, facial deformations or even more serious problems may occur.
Which professionals can perform a sinus lift?
- oral surgeons
- maxillofacial surgeons
Who needs sinus lift?
Sinus lift can sometimes become a necessity. The following people may need to have a sinus lift.
- Those with very short bone height of the upper jaw
- Those whose sinuses are very close to the chin itself
- People who need space for their dental implants
Our specialist dentists at ABAY DENTAL CENTER inform you whether you need sinus lift with their examination.
What are the benefits of sinus lifting?
Sinus lifting has several benefits.
- Repairs tooth loss and gum diseases: Untreated gum disease can disrupt the jawbone. Missing teeth damage the tooth roots and the body begins to absorb the jawbone. This causes the sinus cavity to narrow. As a solution, sinus lift is used to prevent bone loss and to increase your sinuses.
- Reduces your risk of sinus membrane damage: In patients whose sinus wall is very close to the mouth and thin, the implant can damage the cavity and cause significant problems. With sinus lift, extra space is provided for the safe placement of the implant.
- Makes mini dental implants possible: Enough jawbone is required for dental implants on missing teeth. Without this, it is not possible for the implant to hold. Thanks to the sinus lift, additional bone is added and a suitable space is opened for the safe placement of dental implants.